Friday 28 January 2011

A picture worth a thousand words

When we were in Egypt last year I took this photo.



I love it and when we had a equality and diversity photo competition at work I entered it with the following words....

Title - Contact

Children just stare.....

In certain cultures looking people in the eye is assumed to indicate honesty and straightforwardness; in others it is seen as challenging and rude. Arab cultures share a great deal of eye contact and may regard too little as disrespectful. In English culture, a certain amount of eye contact is required but too much makes many people uncomfortable. In South Asian and many other countries direct eye contact is generally regarded as aggressive and rude.

Some people with autistic disorders or social anxiety may find eye contact to be particularly unsettling.

Then again...children just stare.

A moment in time and this little girl will be my companion in my life to its completion.

2 comments:

Jaqueline Almdale said...

Great composition Nev. The little girl looking straight at the viewer draws us into the picture while the two adults looking off to the left make me wonder what they see that is not in the picture. I absolutely love your blog headline shot. It is one of my most favorites photos in the world. Gorgeous!
Jaqueline

Nev Wells said...

Jaqueline,

Like most of the best photos pure luck, being in the right place at the right time.

Thanks for the compliment,

Take care

nev