Saturday 9 October 2010

Pumping poo

Ok, blunt but it is what we do - or rather pay someone to do it.

Waterlily has a list that tells us she has a full bladder. We can leave it so as we also have a porta potty on board that we tend to use for weekend visits.

I did try to get it pumped out at Great Heywood but as it was Saturday 1pm Anglo welsh basically told us to bugger off to the marina up the canal. The Fradley floating pontoon of poo was also a bit low in the water and also on the tow path side at 4.30pm on Tuesday so it was set for the tanker pump out of the pump out so two down and still no relief.

I therefore got to thinking about a self pumpout option - electric and or manual and a couple of large containers and a quiet (mains connected) elsan.

For those who do - a couple of questions .....

1. How long does it take
2. Do you get a better job even with lower spec kit
3. electric or manual
4. What containers do you use of moving it this way
5. Do you have one for sale ?

I like the idea of saving £15 quid a go and also not being beholden to the boat yards (I take the point about them shutting down if they don't get my business but if they only want to serve me when it suits them, Fradley was shut at 4.30 I can't be blamed fully)

Nev

6 comments:

Bruce in Sanity said...

1. Depends - how long is a piece of string? Manual, a bit longer than a good boatyard, 12v electric a lot longer
2. Definitely - you can pump out whenever it's convenient, and rinse out to your hearty's content.
3. Manual is quicker but harder work (1 litre per stroke, you do the maths), electric easier, obviously, but quite slow. If you go 12v, make sure you have really heavy cables from the 12v socket to the pump.
4 We don't, we use the roll flat output hose into a sluice. Otherwise, 25 l drums, same like (but not the same ;-( ) as water or diesel.
5 No

HTH

Bruce

Andy Tidy said...

Nev
Interesting subject. I have been looking into the poo subject this week and trying to decide which one to go for.
I was in comms with Leesan and they suggested that an electric jobbo at about £320 as a popular choice but I am tending towards a simpler manual kit which is faster is you dont mind a bit of elbow grease - and a lot cheaper at £120 from Midland Chandlers.
I paid £20 for a pumpout with blue at Norbury last week so thats 6 self pumps and its paid for.
Andy

Nev Wells said...

Gents,

Thank you for your useful replies. The comments re the electric vs manual are especially useful as I would have opted for the electric thinking it would be more powerful. In keeping with the low tech layout of Waterlily manual it shall be.

I have not picked up the costs for the manual pump version from MC so this is worth investigating also.

Looks like I will be taking another step towards self sufficiency,

Nev

Andy Tidy said...

Nev
Will you let me know what you decide on? I think we are on the same page but I guess you will sort it out before I do.
The next two tasks are replace the cooker and sort out that propshaft coupling - but not before a trip up the Caldon at the end of the month.

Andy Tidy said...

Nev
I was looking at the cheap pump in MC yesterday and it was a bit flimsy. All in all I am coming to the conclusion that the £270 kit from Leesan may be twice the price but probably represents better long tern value for money.

Nev Wells said...

Andy,

Thanks for the info on the MC equipment. I am a great beleiver in buying something that will last. We would still like a bath on board - if we do the fixed loo will go so we are holding fire until we have done more investigation.

I hope you enjoy your Caldon trip, one of if not my all time favourite canal, we did the Leek arm either last year or the year before and moored just past where the breach was later in the year.

Have a good trip,

Nev