Monday 27 September 2010

What a plonker....

....that will be me !! I have been reflecting on my boat cruising early summer and just remembered the problems I had on the Staffs & Worcester.

We had just come through a bridge hole near Radford when we got what felt like a prop fowl type slow down. I got the boat to the bank and removed the engine deck boards and put them on the bank side. I then hopped onto the boat and fell straight into the engine hole I'd just uncovered. It could have been a really nasty accident. Luckily I suffered a skinned shin and a dented ego.

It just goes to show how easy it is to get yourself damaged on a boat. I love it, not a single risk assessment or method statement aboard, just a large dose of common sense, missing in this instance but then that was my fault and my fault only !

Nev

4 comments:

Halfie said...

Nev, I've done exactly the same thing. Only I did it after dark! I'd uncovered the engine, then gone inside. When I came back out, with whatever it was I went in for, I promptly fell straight into the engine 'ole! Amazingly, like you, I didn't injure myself, or damage the engine. I made a very loud clatter as I put my hand out and hit the chequered metal deckboard which was leaning against the stern rail.

Nev Wells said...

I'm sure it would look like a 'Del Boy' scene (thinking about the classic when he goes to lean on the bar that has been lifted) funny to see but potentially very painful and expensive as I'd not thought about the engine !!

Take care

Nev

Nev Wells said...

I'm sure it would look like a 'Del Boy' scene (thinking about the classic when he goes to lean on the bar that has been lifted) funny to see but potentially very painful and expensive as I'd not thought about the engine !!

Take care

Nev

Jim said...

I've often thought that if someone tried to invent canal boating these days they would be laughed out of court by the health and safety brigade!

Best wishes

Jim