Wednesday 12 September 2012

Life changing decisions.....

Some really interesting posts lately.

Sarah blogged very honestly about her year out living on Chertsey and Bakewell. I like reading Sarah's blogs as she seems to give an honest account of her experiences, good and bad and this was most evident in her blog entitled 'Happy New Year' Aside from the fact I fully understand the New Year context as I work in Higher Education (HE) and in a week it will all start again with lots (thankfully) of new and returning faces - some of them lecturers from their scholarly activity over the summer! Sarah tells a tale of a year off that was good but not as she expected. My wife recently asked if I'd be happier working on the waterways.... I said not as I feel making it too accessible  would take the enjoyment from it.

So then Halfie is taking a well earned rest from the world of work. Unlike some he has opted for this end of career move, but it will no doubt mean much more time afloat - will it diminish the return he gets from being on the water?

When I read Les and Jaq's blog  - NB Valerie  I reach for the boat keys and the phone to tell my boss its over...... they seem so at peace with what they have. They have love also but we have that in spades so can it be that easy and does it never get bad?

Then my neighbour Mandy from Don't panic wrote very honestly and deeply recently about being at peace in isolation that can be found on the canals. I can really connect to this. I look for remote moorings when out and about and try and avoid where possible the honey pot sociable mooring on the system. I might be missing the food and drink that some seem to share and enjoy  - almost every day - NB Chance leads the pack on this one for sure.

Finally John and Louise from NB Blue Moon are heading back to reality after their recent cruise.... they end their blog .....

"Oh well it's back to reality on Monday for us both. I wish this retirement lark would hurry up !!!"

So why the post today and with this reflection.... well we are viewing a boat tomorrow that we could live on in some comfort. That is all I am saying as it is a million miles away from reality right now, but for tonight I have one foot closer to realising a life changing decision  ;-)

Nev


11 comments:

nb Chance said...

Hi Nev, Like the post on some of the bloggers, we felt we had been a little less sociable of late? Keep up your great blog. Hope to meet you one day. Doug and James

Anonymous said...

I await the next post with interest

Norwyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Nev,
I've yet to have a bad day aboard the boat. Les did when he hurt his back in 2009, and had to go to his kids' for a couple of weeks to recuperate, but otherwise...the answer to the question, "Will I be happy living aboard a narrowboat?" depends on what one really wants out of life and whether or no one's partner wants the same things. Les and I are very lucky to have found each other. We are happy because our needs/wants converge in living aboard. Yes, we row occasionally but everyone does and if space is needed--a good walk clears the head and heart, or a retreat to the down filled bed with a good book to escape for a bit works for us. We too look for quiet places away from the pack. We are happy to socialize--I love to cook and have folks on board for a meal and game of Phase 10, but we don't hang about long--there is so much to see--and so little lifetime to see it all in! We look forward to spending a bit of our time with you when get to Fradely.Cake: Chocolate of carrot?
JaqXX
NB Valerie

Halfie said...

Great post, Nev. I'm not anticipating a lower return from more time afloat. Quite the reverse, in fact. I'm looking forward to being able to take much more time about getting around the system. I'm not expecting familiarity to breed contempt.

John and Louise said...

Nev,
What an interesting post and look forward to the result of your viewing !!! Retirement for me is just the matter of 939 days away - doesn't sound much if you say it quickly.

John

Nev Wells said...

Norwy...... Is it your boat at Mercia ??

Nev

Nev Wells said...

Norwy...... Is it your boat at Mercia ??

Nev

LittleInsect said...

Nev, I really envy you being in a position where you could make that decision.
I'd love to retire and spend my days touring the British Isles and keeping up the stupid miles I put on my bikes, but the truth is, if I don't work, I can't afford to do it.
You have to ask yourself, if you don't do it, will you spend the rest of your life regretting that you didn't do it while you were still young and fit enough to enjoy it?

oh, and can I come and live on your boat for a while?

Anonymous said...

Hi Nev yes Shell Bell is up for sale will update the blog in the next couple of days.

Nev Wells said...

Norwyn,

I'm sorry to hear that, I'm sure she will find a new owner soon. How have you found Mercia to deal with ?

Anonymous said...

Nev they seem very good I bought the boat through them and I have no complaints so far. We are sad to be selling.
Norwyn

I will carry on reading your blog